Friday, February 19, 2010

Time for Fun!

Looking out through the snow-leaden windows, I'm feeling more than a little house-bound. Much like the felines in the large cat exhibits at the zoo, all I feel like doing is pacing, pacing, pacing at the windows, hoping for spring to come and melt the snowy tundra, so I can get a glimpse of green again.

The house is clean (sort of), and I glance into the hallway mirror looking much like a forlorn Saint Bernard in need of a walk.

I gaze at the clock, seeing I've finished the chores in time to have a little fun before the kids come home from school, and my mind goes into overdrive. But there is a major problem here. You see, I have way too many interests!

I've done scherenschnitte (paper cutting), quilling, beading, cross-stitch, card making, scrapbooking, quilting, fabric crafting, bags and tote-making, gardening, and many others. And I have an 'idea' box stuffed full of things I had just enough time to jot down, but never pursue. I think if I did, God would have to let me live at least another three-hundred years- and that's if I never had another idea starting right now!

I can't help it- thoughts pour into me like rainwater into a barrel, and I can't get rid of it unless I write it down. Oh sure, I could just forget the idea entirely, but then I'll wonder if it would have been just the thing I'd need in the near future. So I invested in a ton of 3 x 5 cards and started writing every little idea down. If you're like me, you have a similar collection.

So I ask myself the scariest question I could ever ask. What am I going to do with my free time?

And my hyperkinetic brain answers, Everything!

Not the best plan, I admit, but it's a start. So I go up to my sewing room to explore. I'm not being metaphorical either- I have a lot of stuff in that little room!

I toss project after project on the table, acting as if I have all the time in the world to finish these projects before my children come home. But it's fun just going though everything, even if I only accomplish a single task. And fun is what I was after in the first place. This is also the reason I have many UFO's (UnFinished Objects) in my room. There are also PhD's (Projects half-Done) and WIP's (Works In Progress), but there is nothing actually finished yet.

Yet.

I hope to change that this year. Just remember, even if I finish one project, it still counts- no matter how many projects I have left!

Of course by the time I get started on something, the kids will walk in and it'll be time to make dinner and help with homework. But that can be fun too- just in a different way. So do what I do- take a deep breath, do what you can to relax, and have fun in all you do- no matter what it is. That's really all that matters....right?

2 comments:

Ava Z. said...

That was wonderful! I am the same way, with crochet. I have a half dozen projects laying around waiting to get finished but I always seem to start a new one before I get around to finishing one!

Anonymous said...

When you are into crafts and have a lot of ideas, sometimes it is difficult knowing just where to start and by the time you/we make the decision to actually do something it is time for children to come home from school, pick them up, prepare dinner, etc. Relax, choose and go for it. I'm from CafeMom (warmcoffee).Congratulations on your new blog. I like to write, please visit a couple of my articles at http://hubpages.com/_2icqzbgq2m8vm/hub/What-Language-Does-Your-Heart-Speak and I have a few other articles there as well, my page name is SupportMed on that particular site. Stop by, as I plan to stop by you blog as well. Again, Congrats!!!!!!!! Sometimes I comment as 'anonymous.' But not all of the time, I think it best to leave my CafeMom name here when I comment, because if someone posts something nasty and signs as anonymous you might think it to be me and I would not do such a thing. So, it's me, warmcoffee!!!

Post a Comment