Monday, January 17, 2011

The Agony of De Feet

This has been one eventful week and a half.

My son survived having a sprained wrist, and still bears the removable cast- the sprain is still hurting him, though he has a lot more movement in his fingers. Not fully, but much better than last week, thank the Lord!

Then one week later, he takes a tumble down his bedroom stairs and messes up his foot. On the right side. Just like his wrist. I spent the day taking him from the ER to the docs, to the orthopedic docs, getting test after test. He sprained his foot. Try to walk on crutches when you have a sprained wrist on the same side. Sheesh!

The good news is it wasn't nearly as bad as the wrist sprain, so he was up on crutches the next day. Two days off from school and a backlog of homework- which I gladly picked up from his teachers, much to his dismay. The wrist he isn't milking as much, but the foot? You bet he was trying his best to limp his way into our sympathies.

It might have worked too, had I not seen him nearly run to the computer when he was given permission to play on it a little bit. Heh.

He still has light chore duty (especially concerning steps), but all in all, he is okay enough not to need the crutches anymore. I did ask his teachers to allow him use of the elevator for classes this week, but after that, he should be fine and dandy. He only has to take the stairs to go to lunch, so by the end of the week, he should be able to do it.

During this time, my husband was diagnosed with walking pneumonia. He has chronic bronchitis, so getting pneumonia is not that uncommon, but left untreated, he can be in big trouble. Thank the Lord he went to the doc in time. The bad(der) news is that he had snow duty when we got over eight inches, and had to go shovel snow at work at four o'clock in the morning. Then he had to work overtime, so he wasn't home until almost nine o'clock that night. He worked overtime all week, leaving at six-thirty in the morning and returning after eight each night. All I could do was offer him a nice hot drink for his coughing fits and make sure he got enough sleep.

Before he had found out about the pneumonia, he wanted to celebrate my birthday by making a five course dinner, and letting me have some girlfriends over for the feast. I tried to talk him out of it after he was diagnosed, but this was something he wanted to do. He wasn't contagious, and he wasn't going to let a little coughing stop him from doing something he already had planned. A little coughing. Right. Guess the kids got the stubbornness from both sides of the family tree.

He was feeling better by the time Saturday came around, so I decided to not cancel his plans. The girls and I had a blast! He had really outdone himself.

We had a garden salad to start, shrimp bisque (the broth his made was outstanding!), then a fruit salad (to cleanse the pallet), then herbed chicken with pasta in a cream sauce, and dessert was a chocolate-berry cake with chocolate ganache filling, and a cherry chunk whipping cream sauce to pour over the top. Can you say YUM? All of this took place over a two-hour period, with his grandmothers antique china. I've never felt so special on my birthday!

And there's a lot of shrimp bisque left over. Hee hee!

The kids are home today for the holiday, and my husband is back to working overtime all this week. I'm looking into make some new recipes that he can take for lunch (which can be tricky- he doesn't always have time to heat up food, yet hates muffins and other room-temp savory baked things I could make- he's a hot-or-cold kinda guy). Maybe I could make up some special iced tea he can take to help soothe his coughing a bit. Either that, or surprise him once in a while by bringing him a nice, hot lunch. That might work! I'm so glad you're here to talk to! It helps me think better.

My daughter and I have survived this week with our bodies in tact and our health uncompromised, to which I am eternally grateful. I slept in a little later than normal this morning, and the house is a complete mess, so all of us will be busy, including Gimpy, the Wonder Boy.

So now you know why I've been scarce this week! I was almost afraid to post anything, lest I be needed to take someone to the ER or docs office. I tend to zone out the world when I'm writing- even a blog post like this one- so I need to hold off writing anything when I have to be alert for falling children.

God bless all of you, and I hope your week goes better than mine did last week! Stay safe and healthy, and remember to give your loved ones a kiss and a hug. Then go wash your hands- the kids probably had sticky faces. ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment