Wednesday, September 12, 2012

When Superman Cannot Fly

It's hard to think of our heroes getting hurt. They are our protectors, our support, and help us through the bad times. But yesterday my hero fell from the sky.

My husband works with a chemical called caustic soda. The mixture reacted and splattered over his body. He now lies in a hospital bed with second and third degree acid burns on 35% of his body. 

And they are still flushing out his eyes with saline. It's been almost twenty-four hours since the accident.

I won't go into too many details, but he will need skin grafting and a lot of time to heal.

So what happens when your hero falls? You become his heroine.

You pick him up. You nurture him. You feed him, give him something to drink, and say things to make him smile. You never let him see you cry- at least in the beginning.

Yesterday I was the damsel in distress and he would come and save me from the kids, the repairman, and computer viruses. Today he's the one who needs me, and I will be there for him.

Yesterday he was my hero, Today I am his. And when we're through this, we will both be wearing capes.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome Beth. Well written. Our Prayers are with you and your superhero.

Post a Comment