Monday, May 6, 2013

Double Standards

Too many times I see double standards in our society. Not that I am against the groups, races, etc. that I am about to mention- I'm definitely not! But it's something that needs to be addressed if only to point out the irony of it all.

For instance:
I don't get why we need to have sub-divisions of the Miss America pageants. Why do we have different races running their own pageants? And why would these other races throw a fit if there was a White Miss America pageant? (I'm not saying we should, I'm just making a point). Why is it okay for other races to have their race exclusive pageants, but if white people (or Caucasians, for the political term, but my skin is so white it's near reflective, so I am a'callin' myself white) have our own race-exclusive pageant, we are considered racists?

I am not putting down other races- not in the least (In fact I go to a church that is predominantly Black and Hispanic), but the irony of one-race anything just rubs me the wrong way. Not just White, not just Black, not just Hispanic or Asian- it's ridiculous to claim you can have your own race-specific agendas, yet protest others rights to do the same.

And yes, many races were demeaned and treated like lesser beings in the past by white folks-I don't deny or ignore that (In fact, I hate that part of my history!), and I also see the reasons behind race-specific events and literature because we once were a segregated country. But it's been taken to an extreme that has flavored this melting pot we call America with a bitterness that can't be easily gotten rid of.

All I'm saying is that people can't have it both ways- You don't squash the rights of another now because your rights were squashed in the past. I don't care what color you are.

The same goes for beliefs.

Gay rights have been on the up-rise for years, but if someone says they believe differently, there are Gay-ins and protests at the top of gay supporters' lungs. Why? If gay people wish the right of free speech and the choice to do what they want, why do they protest when Christians want the same rights and respect?

This also applies to certain aspects of feminism. Not the equal rights kind, but the kind that claims women are better than men, and suppress the men for the betterment of women. In their opinion, all women should be out and working, and when a woman wants to be at-home mom, these feminists tell them they are conforming to a form of legal slavery, working for a man all day for no wage, having his babies, etc. There are even claims that these women should be berated for their choice, because the choice is so foolish. 
Really? 
Women who had no choices in the past are now given choices, and these radical feminists feel we should not be able to choose being an at home mom because we don't know any better or are being foolish? Aren't they doing the same kind of suppression as men were- just in reverse?

That doesn't make sense to me either. 

What's good for the goose is good for the gander- don't shout out that you want rights, yet suppress others from doing the same. Stop using double standards for getting what you want by stepping on the backs of others. And yes, we can all get along even if we don't have the same beliefs, skin tone, or lifestyles. We don't have to like what our fellow man does, but we can surely love them as human beings! After all, isn't that what God intended in the first place?

0 comments:

Post a Comment