Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Life in a Wheel World

You never know when you'll find a diamond in the fertilizer.

Since I messed up my knees, walking has become problematic- even with a cane.

Stores have become daunting experiences. I tried walking amidst the aisles of the mega stores I usually frequent, only to find myself out of commission for the next few days because my knees retaliated. Even the cane wasn't much help.

I almost stopped going to stores altogether because it just wasn't worth the down-time.

Then I noticed those little motorized carts plugged into the wall. Was I allowed to use them? Yes- I was. Reprieve! 

Once I learned how not to run over anybody, grocery shopping had become fun once more- even more fun because the cart had a little horn- I'd tap it, and announce "Watch the tram car please!" 
If you've ever been to the Jersey shore, you know exactly what this means. If not, there was a little tram shuttle that would go up and down the shore boardwalk, and if people were in it's path, the driver would announce "Watch the tram car please!" And people would scurry out of the way. People took delight when I did this in my local Sam's Club- and yes, they instinctively scooted out of my way!

I never cease to find the fun in everything I do. Immaturity is awesome.

Yesterday I had to bite the bullet and go into a craft store to get some items for my daughter's sixteenth birthday party. God tweaked my ear and told me to ask about shopping scooters. When I did, they said they didn't have anything motorized, but they did have a wheelchair with a front basket.

That was all I needed!

The gratefulness I felt was overwhelming. I was able to take my time. I could enjoy the craft store and do some exploring, since I hadn't been there for a very long time. And it was pain-free, since my legs were elevated. What joy!

God is indeed good. Not only was I able to get my errands done, but I didn't suffer much after-effect since I wasn't on my feet the entire time. 

I didn't have to depend on bringing a 'partner' to help me shop. Partners can be fun, but sometimes I just like meandering and finding things on my own instead of taking my husband or kids along.

My knees are still wonky, so please pray that this is something silly that can be remedied with elevated feet and my husband hand-feeding me chocolate and fruit.

In the meantime, Beep Beep! Watch the tram car, please!

0 comments:

Post a Comment