Thursday, September 22, 2011

Do What You're Good At

Being a mom isn't the easiest job in the world, but it can be one of the best.

One thing I learned was not to compare myself to other moms, because we all 'mom' differently. Not better, but differently. There are some moms out there that can home-school, run a business, do church ministries, keep their house immaculate, all while raising their child(ren), whether they be their only child or a gaggle of twelve. Not all at the same time, mind you, but at least a few of these activities all while staying sane. But you have to pick what you're good at, and work around the rest.

As you know, I hate cleaning. I'm not great at it like my husband is- he can do in an hour what take me at least three, because he likes doing it (and yes, I am comparing, but just as an example!) I, on the other hand am much better at sewing and decorating (and writing), so any of those tasks that require crafting and dexterity usually fall to me. Both of us cook, so when he's home, we usually share that duty.

And I could never, ever homeschool. I simply cannot teach academics to my kids. They would never graduate, because I have the focus of Dory, the forgetful blue fish in Finding Nemo. Besides, my son would argue his way out of doing anything constructive, and would wear me down like an elephant's posterior on a termite mound. We both know I'd give in before the first hour, simply because my voice would give out. So to school they both must go.

Now if I was the Home Ec teacher, I would totally rock. Skills are something I can teach! Cooking, sewing, and yes, even cleaning I teach my kids, (though they take after me concerning attitudes on chores), and I do well- but the yard stuff I leave to my husband to bestow upon them his knowledge. I still can't tell a weed from an herb and have promised not to pull anything up since the 'Cilantro Incident'. I only re-pot plants, and that's about all I'm allowed to do.

I'm good at scheduling things, and am the Head Scheduler of the house- as long as I write it down. Remember I'm a lot like Dory, so if I don't write it down it gets lost in the gigabytes of my mind, and I won't find it again until I'm eighty. I also have many to do lists, and when I remember where I put them, I'll follow them.

Find out what you're good at, and work around the rest. The kids and my husband help me clean when they can, and I'm getting better and better at taking care of the house. I keep them all well fed, healthy and strong, and I teach the kids life skills they need when they're older and I kick them out. On occasion I save up enough money to pay someone to clean (which is totally worth it right before going away for a weekend camping trip), so everything works out for the best.

You might do it just like me. Or completely different. It doesn't matter, as long as it gets done and you're not in a strait-jacket by the end of the day. Staying sane and content is all that matters!

Do what you're good at. Work around the rest. And be happy knowing that God loves you no matter what you do!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Love your post! & so true! I'm good at reading, but not commenting....Your posts always bring a smile to my face and WE can all relate!

Have a joyous day!

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

Great post and what a great message. Stopping by from Ruby For Women.

Post a Comment