Monday, July 1, 2013

Positivity 101

It all started with an idea for a party.

A few months back, I wanted to thank all of my kids' teachers for their help in getting us through a rough time (my husband's accident and the move). They helped my kids finish homework and projects, and helped them get better grades. I made cookie boxes for them, and they expressed such joy with several comments that parents didn't often express their appreciation for teachers.

So before school let out, I spoke with a few teachers about inviting them to an Appreciation Picnic.

I asked when they would be available, made invitations, and had hopes that out of the twenty teachers (and their families) that were invited, we would have a great picnic. There were a few no's, a lot of maybes and a few yeses.

I prepared food for three days. The day came, and we were all very excited to welcome our guests.

But no one came. Not One. Not even those that said they were coming. 

My family ate a very large lunch and put all of the food away.

I was not a happy camper. I was ready to become a hermit in the Appalachians and give up on the human race as a whole. And who was going to eat all this potato salad? But my husband had a better idea. He started inviting the neighbors for a picnic dinner.

We didn't have many, but those few that came had a blast! We started a campfire in our fire pit, ate ourselves stupid, and roasted marshmallows while getting to know each other. Everyone went to bed late that night.

The next day we gave some of the food away to those in need, and kept what we thought we would eat for the next few days. We turned our lemons into lemonade and drank our fill.

And my hope for humanity was restored.

He helped me to see that any bad situation can be turned around to the good. Sometimes I need to be reminded of that.

I am so very glad I married my husband! He has a much more rosy look on life, and helps me daily to see that shiny side of the coin. If you have someone like this in your life, please cherish them and tell them you love them- they are rarer than gold!


1 comments:

Connie Arnold said...

You certainly turned that into a golden opportunity, Beth! I'm glad you have the blessing of a good husband.

Post a Comment