Monday, February 10, 2014

Fighting vs. Facing Fear

You would be amazed at how much of a scaredy-cat I am.

I face my fears each and every day. I know my fears. They also know me, and they know that if I do nothing else but face them, they'll win- because facing them isn't enough.

You can face a charging goat, but until you either step aside or grab that sucker by the horns, you're going to get hit. Actions really do speak louder than words.

Some of my fears are selfish ones. If I had my way, I'd sleep late and forget the whole thing because of my fears.

Especially if it involves helping other people.

On occasion I would be the one best suited for the job. Frankly, no one else wants the job- even though it will help the surrounding neighborhoods, families, and local businesses.

So I start by facing my fears.

What am I so afraid of? Failure? Success? That people will expect more from me than I can give? Or that my efforts would stink so bad they'd run me out of town with torches and pitchforks? 
Yep. all of the above.

Then I start thinking about the people. My neighbors. The young adults and kids that would benefit from my chairing the position. What if I gave up on them and there was no one else to take up the reigns? Who would not benefit if I didn't do this? After looking at it this way, the benefits would certainly outweigh my fears- big time.

Now comes the hard part. Fighting those fears.

Planning helps. A lot. Having a list and delegating (aka- not trying to do everything myself!) holds most of those 'fear of failure' jitters down. Backup plans are also essential, especially if one of the helpers winds up sick. Planning so I'm not running around at the last minute helps a bunch too. 

And if I can do it without having to hide under the covers, you can too.

Face the fear. Plan. Delegate. Have a backup plan. Then go smack those fears over the head with a zucchini. And do it with a grin on your face.

The fear won't go away (at least until you've done whatever it is you fear one hundred times, and there still might be a twinge now and then), but in fighting them, not just facing them, you can move mountains. 

Sometimes the fears are life-goal oriented. I want to make a ton of people laugh and learn when they see me. But I have to learn how to speak in public without a mop. I faced the fear, and now I'm working up the courage to fight that fear by taking classes and talking to other speakers. It might take a while, but when that goat tries to nail me again, I'll be ready.

With a zucchini if I have to!


0 comments:

Post a Comment