Monday, August 24, 2015

The Purpose of Purpose

At first, I knew my purpose. I was going to be a mom, and had certain things to do. Yes, I'm still a mom, but the tasks have changed since the kids are almost independent. I couldn't figure out why I was swimming in an ocean of uncertainty, until one day it hit me- I had lost my sense of purpose.

My kids don't need me as much as they used to. My son is seventeen and my daughter is fourteen- and the diaper stage is over, thank You Jesus! Most of my job now is words of wisdom with a little head-swatting muscle to back it up- but that leaves me wondering what I'm supposed to do when these people leave the house.

And they will leave. Oh, you bet your bippy they will.

When they do, I plan on writing more. A lot more. My tasks might change, but my purpose won't.

So...what is the purpose of purpose?

The purpose of purpose is to glorify God. Period.

God doesn't give a kangaroo's behind what you're doing, as long as you're doing it for Him. You could be a millionaire businessman, a housewife, a janitor, or a writer- it doesn't matter. If you don't have a reason, a purpose, for doing it, then your efforts are worth less than squat.

Doing things for family is great. Doing things for God is awesome. And the best part is you don't have to pick one over the other- you can do both! 

It's like doing a job just for the paycheck. Are you filled with joy? Are you getting a sense of accomplishment? Or are you dragging your feet, muttering under your breath about how tired and worn you fell all the time? It doesn't matter what that job is, you have no purpose in the job if all it does is wear you down.

Your purpose should be your job. I'm not talking about a job as in employment; the job I'm talking about is what you're actually doing. Anyone can do a job, but someone with purpose can do any job, and do it to the best of his ability, with a smile on his face. 

Because the type of employment doesn't matter. He's not doing it only for the paycheck. That's the difference.

I'm a writer. Do I make millions? No. Can I live off my writing? Nope. Not yet. But do I write with purpose? You betcha! Does God care that I'm not a millionaire? Nope. All He wants is for me to use the talents He gave me to glorify Him.

Hence my purpose.

What is your purpose? Has it changed? Have you found it yet? Are you swimming in that same ocean like I was? Look into your heart and find your purpose. It's there. Pray and let God help you find it!

1 comments:

Miss Kathy said...

So true, Beth. For all my child-raising years, my writing purposes were wrapped around my kids and their education. Once the nest was empty, it took the Lord a full FOUR YEARS to redirect my writing purposes to a broader stage. Look for the platform of our purpose to adjust to the seasons of our lives so walking in purpose is in God's best.
Joy!
Kathy

Post a Comment