Monday, March 17, 2014

Too Many Pickles

Yesterday I collapsed on the couch, exhausted. My husband was too tired to collapse with me, and instead crawled upstairs to take a nap. Yesterday was Sunday. Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest. Supposed to be.

If you're chuckling, you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you're in ministry, Sundays are not a day of rest- not fully. In fact, this week was so chock-full of things to do- appointments, duties, and errands, I think I forgot to breathe- but I must have at some point, because here I am, making this post.
Either that, or someone needs to call Guinness to tell them I broke the "No-oxygen-for-a-week-but-still-alive" record.

My husband and I definitely had too many pickles on our plates this week.

His schedule included working overtime, church meetings, community meetings, and ministry. Mine included housework, cooking, kids, writing, crafting, shopping, more housework, community meetings and ministry. For most of the week, I couldn't get out of the house, and he couldn't stay in the house. 

I think I got a glimpse of him three days ago, but much like those Bigfoot sightings, I wasn't quick enough to get a picture of him to prove it.

I hope we never have another week like that again. I woke up tired this morning.

Today I'm looking at my pickles to see how many I'm putting on my plate this week. Not too bad, but it could use some tweaking. With any luck I can help keep my husband from taking the entire pickle jar! What good does it do us to do so much without a break? Even God rested on the seventh day, after all. I don't think He had a single pickle on His plate. 

He was pickleless at least once. We need to learn to be pickleless too.

I learned a lot about myself this week. I also learned that I have limits, and if I go beyond those limits, I'm useless to my family and others for longer than I want to be. Maybe you've done this too and you know what I'm talking about.

It's true, you know...too many pickles really aren't good for you!

1 comments:

Kathy Rupff said...

Hi Beth, Your blog is great and glad to see I have a lot of posts to catch up on! I totally hear you about setting limits. Amen to that! I saw your name over on "Talking Christians" website...Cool! Hope you are well! Blessings! Kathy

Post a Comment