Monday, November 5, 2012

Truth Vs. Lies- What Words Do We Feed Ourselves?

I saw a post on one of my favorite Facebook sites that asked 'What words do we feed ourselves- truth or lies?' And I had me one of those WOW moments!

We've all heard the old saying 'You are what you eat', but do we really pay attention to what goes into our mouths? Speaking from experience (and taking a good long look in the mirror), I know I certainly don't give a flying fig what I eat, as long as it's tasty. (figs? Fig newtons...Mmmmm..)

Sorry about that. Back to the blog.

How much attention do we pay to what we tell our minds and hearts?

Let's dig deeper here- I know I can be quite negative about myself. I look at my body and joke about not just having buns, but an entire bakery going on around my butt and belly, and secretly tell myself that I'm getting older, and it will be harder and harder to lose weight. I don't have the guts to get thin. I don't have the drive. And I certainly don't have the time to waist- er..waste to get in shape. Besides, I'm in good shape- round is a very good shape...right?

The undercurrent of all those self-inflicted jokes tells a different story. You can't do it. You will never do it. Don't even bother- the second you'll do, you'll fail. Then I go find something comforting to eat and try to forget. I've lied to myself enough that  start to I believe the lies.

But what if I told myself a few truths? What if I told myself I don't need that second helping? That I could make that first mile in under twenty minutes? Under fifteen? (at least after I hit twenty minute mark first!) After a while, wouldn't I begin to believe those?

Yes, but only if I work at it until my positive self-talk becomes a habit.

We need to get into the habit that we can do things, that things will work out, and that you can succeed. You can have all the support in the world, but it you don't believe it yourself, you might as well be alone, standing in a room all by yourself. 

Does it matter what you want to do? Nope. It can be a diet, or a business, or a new career- and yes, even motherhood! Tell yourself you can do it and that nothing will stop you, and you'll begin to live it.

Look in the mirror each morning, and say something positive that you can do. Do it in the middle of the day. Every time you pass a mirror (or any reflective surface), tell yourself that you are fantastic and you can do what you need to do to get the job done. Or lose that weight. Or whatever. Even if you feel silly at first, keep doing it to stay on track. Or close your eyes and say it in your mind. Do it enough that you start to believe it!

And squash all those negative words you feed yourself!

1 comments:

Ugochi said...

Amen Beth! We can only become what we tell ourselves. I totally agree with you.

Post a Comment