Monday, May 23, 2011

When Dreams Attack

I hate nightmares.

I had one last night, and it woke me from a sound sleep around three am. Oddly enough, it was about the Rapture.

I woke up, and found my husband gone. Not just gone, but Taken by God. The kids and I were on our own. We became homeless, and no one would take us in. I found myself wandering, eventually being in a shelter, earning my keep as a cook for the food ministry. The kids wound up staying with their Nana (my husband's mom), and I was alone, afraid, and felt so undeserving of anything good in life.

Then I woke up for real, looking over in a panic to see if my husband was still there. He was. Relief flooded me, but I couldn't go back to sleep. It was just too real.

But at least this dream can be explained. It has genuine fears in it, and reality can be a scary thing! Especially when God has anything to do about it.

However, there are also dreams you couldn't possibly explain to anyone without sounding as of you were a few coins short of a dollar. Like the time you dreamed you were sailing in a boat made of cheese and you were surrounded by sharks that looked like Bill Gates. Or that you were trying to run away from something, only to find you were slowly turning into a purple hippopotamus with clown feet, doing that 'slow motion' running that gets you nowhere.
Just try explaining any of these to your loved one at three in the morning, and see just how understanding they are- Or how well their aim is with a pillow in complete darkness.

Oh sure, there are books out there to help you determine your dreams, but I think it's a lot more personal than that. I truly believe only the dreamer can decipher the dream- because it's theirs. That hippo might represent something totally different to you than your best friend- if you dared to tell them, that is. At least with these dreams you know they won't happen.

All I can say is this; I'm getting my writing samples ready to send to syndicates and looking for a good bible study group. God pretty much slapped me upside the head this morning, and I intend to listen!

God Bless, and don't let Him swat you upside the head before you listen too!

1 comments:

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

Ironically, I have a similar dream about the Rapture. All the Godly were taken to heaven. I was left behind, kneeling in terror, crying out to God to not leave me. The dream was most likey stimulated with so much coverage and talk about the Rapture recently, and driven by my desire NOT TO BE LEFT BEHIND. Great post, thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment