Thursday, August 4, 2011

When You Look Into the Mirror

Sometimes I wish we had a mirror that would not only show us what we look like, but who we actually are. But only sometimes.

When things are going well, I'd like to see my reflection echoing back confidence, self-assurance, and yes, someone who is much, much thinner than me. I want to see my inner beauty.

But the down side is that these mirrors would also show us the uglier sides of ourselves as well. It's not all bling and glitter. In fact, I'm sure many of us would see something similar to Jabba the Hutt when we look at our true selves. I know I would!

Frankly, seeing my true self in the mirror would give me a serious case of the heebie-geebies. Why? Because I know I'm a mess. I just don't want others to know how messed up. And I'm not telling you neither- So there. Nyah, nyah!

But what would we do if we did see the monsters within ourselves? Would we make any changes? I'm betting we would- at least for the most part. Say someone looked into the mirror and saw a gnarled, ugly old Scrooge? After seeing that self-revelation, it would be hard to ignore the image when you found yourself being selfish or greedy. It would be a neat way of doing a reality check, if they truly did exist.

Imagine having mirrors like that. The world might be better if we did.

0 comments:

Post a Comment