Monday, March 5, 2012

Mini Goals- Stepping Up To Success

Wow, that sounds like I'm selling something, doesn't it? But no, this was just a simple revelation as I was contemplating my own future. 

Everyone tells you to make goals, and most times we make big ones- I want to be a millionaire, I want a house, I want a successful career...Yes, I still want those things, but I get overwhelmed when I think that far ahead. That makes me second guess myself, and also stops me in my tracks so I can't function. 

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, but if you don't plan it properly, there's a bigger chance of failure. We usually hear about those rare few that do make it, and think we can do the same. Maybe you can, but I know for me, that would not be the right thing to do. Look at it this way- you can climb a mountain by scaling vast amounts of sheer rock, or you can chip out places to secure your hands and feet. It might take you longer, but there's a lesser chance of falling and breaking your neck!

Call me lazy, but I'm not willing to risk my neck like that. Hand me the chisel, please, and let me make sure I won't fall off and take those who came with me down with me!

Goals don't always have to be huge either- for instance, one of my goals is to keep the house decluttered and neat. While that may be a very easy task for some of you, it's a biggie for me. Mini goals are little steps that I take to get there- getting rid of unused papers, tossing out old clothing, donating things to thrift stores...all of that will help me get to my main goal. When that's done I can set new goals and start the process all over again. Goals and mini-goals can be applied to any aspect of your life where your having trouble- not just to business!

And think about this- you get your house and family in order, and any business you're involved in will start to change too, because all things must change to balance themselves. A juggler can use anything to juggle with, as long as he has the right balance. If you have a juggler that uses only tennis balls, and you trade one of them for a bowling ball, he won't be able to juggle it- unless he changes his balance. It might take some time for him to learn how to do it, but it can be done. That's the important thing. He makes the changes, or things don't change!

Right now my goals are simple, with just a few steps in each. But this is setting me up mentally to handle bigger things, and eventually things I can't even dream of doing if I tried right now! Setting goals and mini goals builds confidence in yourself and those that deal with you, and allows you to step out of the box on occasion- like taking on that bowling ball. And the best part is that it never stops. You can always set new goals to improve yourself further. Life will never get stagnant- unless you let it.

Set goals. Set mini goals. It doesn't matter how many steps between now and the finish line- the important thing is that you stay in the race!

As for me, I'm going to go toss out some clutter that's been hanging around here for way too long- today is trash day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment